- 2006-2010 — DPhil Earth Sciences, University of Oxford. Supervisor: Prof. J.H. Woodhouse, FRS.
“Imaging the Earth: Methods and Algorithms for Global Seismic Tomography”
- 2002-2006 — BA (Hons.)/MSci Natural Sciences (Physics), University of Cambridge.
- 2021-present — Assistant Professor, Department of Earth Sciences, Durham University.
- 2016-2021 — Fellow, Research School of Earth Sciences, The Australian National University.
- 2011-2016 — Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Earth Sciences, Utrecht University.
Honours, awards and recognition
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, Research School of Earth Sciences, The Australian National University (2021-present)
- ARC DECRA Fellow (2018-2021)
- Geophysical Journal International Outstanding Reviewer citation (2016, 2019)
- Geophysical Journal International Student Author Award (2010)
Major roles and responsibilities
- 2020-present — Editor, Geophysical Journal International.
- 2020-present — Seismology Steering Committee member, CIG.
PhD student supervision
I have been formally named as (co-)supervisor for the following completed PhD theses:
- Suzanne Atkins, Finding the patterns in mantle convection, Utrecht University, 2017.
- Paul Käufl, Rapid probabilistic source inversion using pattern recognition, Utrecht University, 2016.
- Ralph de Wit, Revisiting Earth’s radial seismic structure with a Bayesian neural network approach, Utrecht University, 2015.
In addition, I have served as a thesis committee member or informal advisor for numerous students.